Senate Committee Apologizes to All Native Americans for Violence and Maltreatment by U.S. Citizens
Senate Joint Resolution 14, sponsored by Sen. Sam Brownback (R-Kan.), states that its purpose is “to acknowledge a long history of official depredations and ill-conceived policies by the Federal Government regarding Indian Tribes and offer an apology to all Native Peoples on behalf of the United States.”
In Section 1A, No. 4 of the resolution states that the apology is on behalf of U.S. citizens for harm they have done to “Native Peoples.” In the resolution, native peoples are defined as people who “inhabited the land of the present-day United States since time immemorial and for thousands of years before the arrival of people of European descent.”
comments powered by Disqus
Raul A Garcia - 8/16/2009
Some memory and conscience is better than none. Give me some conscience over just a nickel and dime universe and polity.
Kevin Greoger - 8/12/2009
Did the Senate also include an apology for the atrocious health care system that Congress owns and operates for the Native Americans. If you'd like to see how our national elected officials run a health care system for Native Americans. They are treated like garbage.
Donald Wolberg - 8/12/2009
It is a shame that the idiots of Congress waster their time on nonsense such as this. Perhaps we need Iceland to appologize for the arrival of Bjarni Herjolfsson an Lief Erickson in 990 or 1000 AD or so. Better still, perhaps we need the Navajo Nation to appologize for the harm to the Hopis. Better still, I do believe the Mongolian folks need to appologize to Europe (and China). Hmmm, when will the appologies of idiots end?
- Shipwreck Found Under World Trade Center Traced Back To Colonial Era Philadelphia
- Bob Dallek in the NYT gives a rave review of John Dean's history of Watergate cover-up
- Ex-President George W. Bush Authors Book About His Father
- Tears, and Anger, as Militants Destroy Iraq City’s Relics
- Europe notes 100th anniversary of World War I
- Why Benny Morris is both right and wrong
- Professor Ilan Pappé: Israel Has Chosen to be a 'Racist Apartheid State'
- History Professor: Convicted Cop Killer Mumia Should Be Celebrated Like Martin Luther King Jr. in Schools
- Robert Drew, Cinema Verite Documentarian, Dies at 90
- Rick Perlstein: “Ronald Reagan absolved America almost in a priestly role not to have to contend with sin. The consequences are all around us today”