Portuguese archeologists unearth General Wellington's command post





Located between Mafra and Torres Vedras, the fort is thought to have sheltered General Wellington’s troops serving the Torres Vedras line during the French invasions, between 1807 and 1814.

The General’s private quarters, a store room, a warehouse and a weapons locker were defined during the excavation. The division had been previously outlined in maps but this is the first time excavations were attempted to unearth them.

Of the weaponry storeroom, Archeologist Artur Rocha explained to news agency Lusa “strategically it is one of the most important points within the fort as it offered privileged views in comparison to other war weaponry storerooms and the cannons’ positioned on the Torres Vedras line. That is why we believe the room was General Wellington’s command post”.



comments powered by Disqus