Village of the 'cloned': Mystery of Brazil's 'Mengele' twins
Could Mengele -- who fled to South America in 1949 -- have had a hand in the bizarre outbreak of Germanic twins in Candido Godoi, Brazil?
That's the puzzle the National Geographic Channel tries to solve in its latest documentary, "Nazi Mystery: Twins from Brazil," which airs tonight at 9 p.m.
The show pits Argentine historian and journalist Jorge Camarasa against Mengele expert Gerald Posner.
Camarasa grabbed headlines around the world when he published a book in January touting his theory that Mengele not only traveled to Candido Godoi in the 1960s, he posed at various times as a vet and a doctor who treated pregnant women.
But Posner, who has examined just about every top-secret document filed by Argentine, Brazilian and Israeli authorities on Mengele, is unequivocally convinced that Mengele never visited the remote village.
Weighing in as a neutral arbiter is a team of geneticists and biologists from Porto Alegre in southern Brazil, who visited Candido Godoi to gather bloodwork from every living mother who has given birth to twins -- a staggering percentage of the tiny town's population.
comments powered by Disqus
John R. Maass - 11/30/2009
Natl Geog channel had a show on this Sunday 11/29, debunks mengele connection.
- ISIS is destroying both Shia and Sunni shrines and buildings in Mosul
- Study: Violent radicalism in UK isn't associated with poverty
- CONFIRMED: the Shrine of Jonah/Mosque of Yunus (Nineveh, Mosul, Iraq) has been destroyed
- Chinese President Xi Jinping: Nobody can change history
- Iraq’s Long-Lost Mythical Temple Has Been Found…and Is In Danger of Disappearing Again
- Historian who calls bull&%$@ on July 4th parade causes controversy
- This is what motivated history students in high school and middle school can do!
- Obama to award National Humanities Medals to 3 historians
- Historian Curt Gentry, known for Hoover biography and ‘Helter Skelter,’ dies at 83
- Harvard historian: strategy of climate science denial groups 'extremely successful'