Sigmund Freud saved by Nazi admirer
The fate of Freud and his family in Vienna hung in the balance after Hitler’s forces took over Austria in 1938. The psychoanalyst was first protected, then helped to escape to Britain, by Anton Sauerwald, a Nazi who had been put in charge of his assets.
In twists of Freudian complexity, Sauerwald was put on trial after the second world war accused of plundering the Freud family wealth — only to be saved after the intervention of one of Freud’s daughters.
The full story has emerged thanks to research by David Cohen, author of The Escape of Sigmund Freud, published by JR Books.
By the 1930s Freud was famous in Europe and the United States for his pioneering work on the unconscious. He had founded the International Psychoanalytical Association with Carl Jung and helped to start a publishing business.
His success had brought financial rewards and the family lived comfortably in Vienna. However, the Nazis ordered all Jews to declare their wealth and asserted that “all Jewish assets are assumed to have been improperly acquired”.
comments powered by Disqus
Myron Robert Hafetz - 12/29/2009
Mussolini's Jewish mistress, the British Home Secretary, John Wiley, Ambassador Bullit, Dr. Ernest Jones, and mostly Anna Freud. Sauerwald did not SAVE Freud! He helped him get his furniture and art objects to London and made sure a will was kept secret where mention was made of some foreign money. Cohen's book is another opportunistic rehashing of already known history in the continuing search for the "not so bad Nazi". A real historical contribution would be the publication of Sauerwald's People's Court Trials where even though he
was found innocent much unknown information about him would be discovered. I am finding that
obtaining these transcripts from
Landesgericht fur Strafsachen Wien
is harder than crashing a White House
Myron Robert Hafetz - 12/28/2009
Most of Cohen's material has been in print for years including Anna Freud's
character reference for Sauerwald's People's Court trials. Much effort went into Freud's exit from Austria and included a wide range of people such as Princess Marie Bonaparte,
- Shipwreck Found Under World Trade Center Traced Back To Colonial Era Philadelphia
- Bob Dallek in the NYT gives a rave review of John Dean's history of Watergate cover-up
- Ex-President George W. Bush Authors Book About His Father
- Tears, and Anger, as Militants Destroy Iraq City’s Relics
- Europe notes 100th anniversary of World War I
- History Professor: Convicted Cop Killer Mumia Should Be Celebrated Like Martin Luther King Jr. in Schools
- Robert Drew, Cinema Verite Documentarian, Dies at 90
- Rick Perlstein: “Ronald Reagan absolved America almost in a priestly role not to have to contend with sin. The consequences are all around us today”
- History wars are raging in East Asia
- Round 2: It's Benny Morris vs. Martin Kramer ... Was there a massacre in 1948 in Lydda?