Niall Ferguson leaves his wife for Ayaan Hirsi Ali
With their close ties to David Cameron and illustrious careers in academia and publishing, they were a formidable couple.
But last night it appeared that the 16-year marriage of celebrated historian Niall Ferguson and former newspaper editor Sue Douglas has ended.
The Harvard professor has left his wife for Ayaan Hirsi Ali, a glamorous Somali lawyer threatened with death for scripting a film critical of Islam.
A friend of Miss Douglas, 52, said: 'Despite all the lessons of history, Niall has set himself off in pursuit of some liberal idea of individual freedom and appears hellbent on breaking up his family....
Neither Ferguson nor Miss Hirsi Ali were available for comment....
comments powered by Disqus
Lisa Kazmier - 2/10/2010
Could be an unreality on a lot of levels.
Ed Frank - 2/10/2010
The academic world reels at the revelation that one of its stars has affairs.
Tomorrow: politician lies!
David Austin Walsh - 2/10/2010
I admit, I feel that it is somewhat distasteful to report on the public implosion of a man's marriage, but because of the play it has been getting in the British press (and not just tabloids), and because of the public prominence of Ferguson AND Hirsi Ali, I felt that it warranted a place in Historians in the News.
Unless something ground-shattering happens in this story, though, this is the last I plan on reporting it.
Thomas Holloway - 2/10/2010
If I wanted to follow such personal "news" I would buy the scandal sheets at the supermarket checkout. This has no place on HNN
- T. rex fossils arrive at Smithsonian’s National Museum of Natural History
- Quote of the Day -- Time Magazine's Top 100 People
- Investigation: The Resegregation of America's Schools
- 5 Explosive Revelations Leaked from Senate Report Exposing CIA Torture
- In Parts of the South, Glorifying Slavery No Longer Pays the Bills
- UC Berkeley professor emeritus Robert Harlan dies at 84
- She Came All the Way from Melbourne to Attend the OAH
- The 7 Most Popular HNN Videos from the 2014 OAH
- Jesse Lemisch’s up-from-below history is still strikingly original
- U.Va. Historian Alan Taylor Wins 2014 Pulitzer for Book on Slaves and War -- His second Pulitzer!