From political maverick to historical footnote
So who was Scotland's first female MP?
And the name of this woman who made history but now seems to be completely forgotten?
Katharine (Kitty) Murray, the Duchess of Atholl and the MP for Kinross and West Perthshire from 1923 to 1938.
She maintained a woman's place was in the home, even speaking against votes for women - but ended up in the most prestigious boys' club of them all, becoming our first MP.
When she first entered Westminster she was one of only eight women elected as MPs from across Britain.
From the start she was a model Conservative MP, loyal and hard-working.
But something happened in the 1930s to change all that. And she became a bit of a political maverick.
comments powered by Disqus
- Smithsonian gets $1M to save endangered languages
- Two world-class libraries launch online archive of ancient Scriptures
- U.S. veteran held by North Korea helped anti-communist guerrilla force in 1950-1953 war
- Paul Aussaresses, 95, Who Tortured Algerians, Dies
- Baffling 400,000-Year-Old Clue to Human Origins