Davy Crockett actor Fess Parker dies, aged 85
The Texas-born actor launched a craze for coonskin caps and buckskin shirts with his sturdy turn as the US icon.
Parker went on to play Daniel Boone, another real-life frontiersman, in a 1960s TV show before retiring.
Actor turned California governor Arnold Schwarzenegger paid tribute to him as "a true Hollywood legend".
"Fess Parker has been a role model and idol of mine since I first saw him on the big screen," he said in a statement.
"As a talented actor and successful businessman, he was an inspirational Californian whose contributions to our state will be remembered forever."
Born in Fort Worth and raised in San Angelo, Parker served in the US Navy and graduated from the University of Texas before trying his hand at acting.
Fess Parker, pcitured in 2004
In later life, Parker became a leading winemaker and developer
He subsequently landed a contract with Warner Brothers, making his motion picture debut in Springfield Rifle in 1952.
In 1954, at the age of 29, he was cast in a three-episode miniseries about Crockett, the "King of the Wild Frontier" whose life became an American folk legend.
The programme was enormously popular with viewers and featured a theme song that topped the charts for 13 weeks.
After largely retiring from show business, Parker became a prominent California winemaker and developer.
He died of natural causes at his Santa Ynez Valley home on Thursday - the same day Marcella, his wife of 50 years, celebrated her 84th birthday.
comments powered by Disqus
- ‘Google must not be left to censor history’ – Wikipedia founder
- The most important battle you've probably never heard of
- ISIS is destroying both Shia and Sunni shrines and buildings in Mosul
- Study: Violent radicalism in UK isn't associated with poverty
- CONFIRMED: the Shrine of Jonah/Mosque of Yunus (Nineveh, Mosul, Iraq) has been destroyed
- Plagiarism scandals galore … but no consequences?
- Stephen Cohen was once considered a top Russia historian. Now he publishes odd defenses of Vladimir Putin.
- Historian who calls bull&%$@ on July 4th parade causes controversy
- This is what motivated history students in high school and middle school can do!
- Obama to award National Humanities Medals to 3 historians