A new view onto the Third Reich 'center of evil' in Berlin





BERLIN -- A knee-high wall, a rusty gate, the brick foundations of razed buildings - such are crumbling remnants of the Nazi empire in the heart of Berlin known by historians as the "center of evil."

Sixty-five years after the end of World War II, a new exhibition center is opening this week on the site where the feared Gestapo, SS and other Nazi agencies ran Adolf Hitler's police state from 1933 to 1945.

The center adds a museum and a library to the previously Spartan exhibit known as the "Topography of Terror," which has attracted as many as 500,000 annual visitors for the last two decades to the former Prinz Albrecht Strasse. New exhibits document how Hitler's Reich operated and how Germans dealt with the dark chapter of history in the aftermath of World War II.

The area - adjacent to the Martin-Gropius-Bau arts museum - once housed not only Hitler's secret police Gestapo and its prison, but also the leadership of the SS, the Nazi party's paramilitary unit, and the Reich Security Main Office, which combined and coordinated all different police agencies.

Nazi leaders such as Heinrich Himmler, Reinhard Heydrich, and Adolf Eichmann all had offices on the street....


comments powered by Disqus