Doug Brinkley: Obama could pay "huge price" for spill response
Editor's Note: This article's prior headline identified Douglas Brinkley as Alan Brinkley. The error has been corrected.
A presidential historian is warning that President Obama's political stock could hinge on the administration's response to the oil spill disaster in the Gulf of Mexico.
"I think that the President has to get control over this situation," historian Doug Brinkley said on CNN's Campbell Brown Monday night. "Right now there is a feeling in the country that BP's in charge but BP is the one that has been grossly negligent," Brinkley said. Brinkley, a longtime resident of New Orleans, offered Brown suggestions about what President Obama needs to do: Address the American people on television within 48 hours, tell them what's happening in the Gulf and talk about what's being lost. Brinkley also believes the White House must consider freezing BP's assets in the United States and called for the Justice Department to speed up its probe into BP.
When asked by Brown what price the President could pay for a slow response, Brinkley told Brown "It's a huge price."...
comments powered by Disqus
David Austin Walsh - 5/26/2010
Thank you for pointing out the error -- the headline has been fixed!
kerry candaele - 5/26/2010
Your tag line says Alan Brinkley, but the concerns expressed are from Douglas, quite the difference.
Caroline Hill - 5/26/2010
not Alan Brinkley Douglas Brinkley!
- How Americans Feel About Religious Groups
- Tea Party support linked to educational segregation, new study shows
- History of Philly Rests Under I-95
- Agreement aims to protect North Shore wrecks from looters
- Award-Winning Filmmaker Kevin McCann to Produce the First Film about the Easter Rising in Ireland
- It's official: 2014 AHA election results are in
- In new book UC Berkeley historian Waldo E. Martin, Jr. takes Black Panther Party's point of view
- Economics historian finds that real social mobility takes hundreds of years
- Historian Tim Furnish says liberals shouldn't be astonished that ISIS is stoning women to death -- "in many Muslim countries ... large majorities ... favor stoning"
- Historian turns baker?