John Barrett: Jeff Shesol to give Jackson Lecture at the Chautauqua Institution
[John Q. Barrett is professor of law at St. John's University School of Law.]
On behalf of Chautauqua Institution and the Robert H. Jackson Center, I am pleased to announce that historian, presidential speechwriter and author Jeff Shesol will deliver Chautauqua Institution's sixth annual Robert H. Jackson Lecture on the Supreme Court of the United States. Jeff Shesol will give the Jackson Lecture on Wednesday, August 18, 2010, at 4:00 p.m. in Chautauqua’s Hall of Philosophy.
Jeff Shesol is author of this year’s widely acclaimed book Supreme Conflict: Franklin Roosevelt vs. The Supreme Court (W.W. Norton). Supreme Power tells, in gripping prose based on deep, new and likely definitive research, the story of the Supreme Court aggressively interpreting the Constitution during the mid-1930s to invalidate many New Deal laws, President Roosevelt responding in 1937 with his call for “Court-packing” legislation, the battles over that proposal, its ultimate defeat and, in the process, FDR’s success in bringing the Court back to the Constitution and constitutional interpretation into the modern era. Supreme Power is both vital history and a deeply contemporary book—for anyone who seeks to be engaged with public life in the United States, it is a must-read. For more information about Jeff Shesol, click here. To buy a copy of Supreme Conflict, click here.
Chautauqua Institution, a special venue of arts, education and recreation in western New York State, was a very significant part of Robert Jackson’s life, his broad and self-directed education, his public speaking training and experiences, and his thinking....
comments powered by Disqus
- Daniel Pipes says in interview that the absence of anti-Israel protests in Muslim countries is highly significant
- A historian who studies China has discovered an overlooked angle in the debate about the Middle East. Could he have figured out a key reason for Iraq’s failure to defeat ISIS?
- American Historical Association backs revision of the AP course in history
- Middle East Scholars and Librarians Call for the Boycott of Israeli Academic Institutions
- Cornel West and the Insular World of the Obama-Hating Left