How Many Vice Presidents Died in Office?
Seven vice presidents have died in office:
George Clinton (served under James Madison)
Elbridge Gerry (served under James Madison)
William Rufus De Vane King (served under Franklin Pierce)
Henry Wilson (served under U.S. Grant)
Thomas Hendricks (served under Grover Cleveland)
Garret Hobart (served under William McKinley)
James Sherman (served under William Howard Taft)
Two vice presidents resigned: John C. Calhoun (served under Andrew Jackson) and Spiro Agnew (served under Richard Nixon).
The vice presidency has been vacant due to resignation or death a total of 37 years and 290 days, about a fifth of the time.
Eight presidents have died in office. One resigned.
comments powered by Disqus
- Journalist Michael Wolraich says he wrote his new book about the Progressives to teach Americans how to do liberal politics
- It’s Martin Kramer vs. Ari Shavit vs. Benny Morris
- It's official: 2014 AHA election results are in
- In new book UC Berkeley historian Waldo E. Martin, Jr. takes Black Panther Party's point of view
- Economics historian finds that real social mobility takes hundreds of years