How Many Vice Presidents Died in Office?Google Questions
Seven vice presidents have died in office:
George Clinton (served under James Madison)
Elbridge Gerry (served under James Madison)
William Rufus De Vane King (served under Franklin Pierce)
Henry Wilson (served under U.S. Grant)
Thomas Hendricks (served under Grover Cleveland)
Garret Hobart (served under William McKinley)
James Sherman (served under William Howard Taft)
Two vice presidents resigned: John C. Calhoun (served under Andrew Jackson) and Spiro Agnew (served under Richard Nixon).
The vice presidency has been vacant due to resignation or death a total of 37 years and 290 days, about a fifth of the time.
Eight presidents have died in office. One resigned.
comments powered by Disqus
- Medal of Honor review sought for minority World War I heroes
- Russia isn’t the first country to protest Western control over global telecommunications
- Redactions: The Declassified File
- Abraham Lincoln, Joe Biden and the politics of touch
- Why Good Friday was dangerous for Jews in the Middle Ages and how that changed
- Livestream event: The Greater Reconstruction: American Democracy after the Civil War
- The Fate of the "AHA Interview"
- Gale Kenny on the Womens March, Church Ladies, and Grassroots Political Religion
- Russel Muirhead and Nancy L. Rosenblum's New Book Shows Even Conspiracy Theories Have Gotten Dumber
- ‘Don’t they know Columbus never landed in America?’: Third-graders found error in their workbook. Here’s what they did about it.