U. of Tennessee Wins Grant to Digitize Newspapers
The state's history during the period covered by the project includes the forced relocation of American Indians, known as the Trail of Tears, which began in Tennessee; the Battle of Shiloh, during the Civil War; and the state's ratification of the 19th Amendment, which gave women's suffrage the two-thirds majority it needed to pass. Tennessee is "a very important state during this time period," Ms. Deeken says....
The newspapers' increased accessibility will add richness and color to historical scholarship, says Stephen D. Engle, a professor of history at Florida Atlantic University who specializes in the Civil War and Reconstruction....
comments powered by Disqus
John R Hicks - 6/23/2010
"...and the state's ratification of the 19th Amendment, which gave women's suffrage the two-thirds majority it needed to pass."
As I recall from high school, ratification of a Constitutional amendment requires approval by three-quarters (not two-thirds) of the States.
- Journalist Michael Wolraich says he wrote his new book about the Progressives to teach Americans how to do liberal politics
- It’s Martin Kramer vs. Ari Shavit vs. Benny Morris
- It's official: 2014 AHA election results are in
- In new book UC Berkeley historian Waldo E. Martin, Jr. takes Black Panther Party's point of view
- Economics historian finds that real social mobility takes hundreds of years