A Q&A With Ambassador Michael Oren
What follows are questions for Israeli Ambassador Michael Oren from Coach Kemper and IFE Journalism Interns
1. Q: As a historian and author, what 3 books would you recommend to high school students who wish to gain a better understanding of the world and the middle east in particular?
A: I would highly recommend The Siege, by Conor Cruise O'Brien; David Fromkin's A Peace to End All Peace; and Fouad Ajami's The Arab Predicament, on Arab political thought since 1967.
2. Q: What are the day to day challenges the average Israeli high school student faces that are different from other students around the world? How do they unwind?
A: Israeli teenagers face many of the same challenges as American high school students and teenagers around the world. They work hard in school, and balance their studies with social lives. Of course, Israeli students do this with the knowledge that they'll be joining the military at 18, and mentally prepare themselves accordingly....
comments powered by Disqus
- Historian Fernando Prado on quest to find remains of Cervantes
- Historian shines a light on the dark heart of Australia's nationhood
- Female historian says human rights museum censored her
- Japanese historians slam sex-slave apology review
- Stephanie Coontz: "Marriages require much more maturity than they once did."