Jonathan Zimmerman: Is Your Computer Making You Stupid?
Dear high school student:
Can we talk? It's about computers....And I've got some bad news for you: They make you dumber.
There, I said it. And so have numerous researchers from a wide array of fields. It's time to take them seriously....
Now, if you're really clever, you'll hit me with some good old-fashioned American techno-futurism. "See, Professor Zimmerman, you're from that '1.0 World,' where people actually digested full articles and books, and wrote linear texts like your boring op-ed pieces. But we're entering a Brave New '2.0 World,' my friend." In the soon-to-be-eclipsed age of books, students had to passively absorb whatever the text said. But now they interact, inquire, collaborate, innovate.
Please. Every time a new technology develops, there's an American telling us it's going to transform education. In 1922, Thomas Edison predicted that the motion-picture technology he invented would "revolutionize our educational system." In the 1930s, similar claims were made of radio. Ditto for television in the '50s and '60s, and now computers.
But education hasn't changed. And it won't. I teach college students, and the things I ask them to do - analyze, synthesize, critique - are exactly what I learned at their age. And computers don't make it any easier. To the contrary, they get in the way....
comments powered by Disqus
Oussama Harb - 12/24/2010
A computer without Internet is like
a TV without a satellite cable or like a car without gas.
Internet is great tech. if it was used PROPERLY since it faciliates the job of educators and students wether you like it or not.
It's easier and quicker to "analyze, synthesize and critique" if we use computer tools, search engines and documents published online (EBOOKS) than doing the same job in Libraries
I agree with the writer when he said that computers make you "dumber" but
let me add a condition !
- It makes you dumber if you use it
for stupid chatting,watching porno,
or playing video games or poker for
long times !
Education is still the same , but the techniques have changed. ( markers instead of clay , computers instead of paper, internet instead of libraries etc...)
- Iraq’s Long-Lost Mythical Temple Has Been Found…and Is In Danger of Disappearing Again
- CBS features in-depth coverage of the 50th anniversary of the signing of the Civil Rights law
- Archive of WW II war crimes made public
- They tried to kill Hitler. Now they’re heroes.
- ‘Clinton Inc.’ Author Dishes on Monica Lewinsky and the Blue Dress
- Ukrainian Leaders Are Using David Barton's Theocratic Pseudo-History To Build Their Nation
- John D’Emilio, renowned professor of gay studies, retires
- Journalist Michael Wolraich says he wrote his new book about the Progressives to teach Americans how to do liberal politics
- It’s Martin Kramer vs. Ari Shavit vs. Benny Morris
- It's official: 2014 AHA election results are in