CBS to broadcast a miniseries about the life of Pope John Paul II
Ian Holm is going from "The Lord" to the lord.
Holm, who played Bilbo Baggins in the big-screen "The Lord of the Rings" trilogy, will portray Pope John Paul II in CBS' forthcoming four-hour miniseries about the late pontiff.
"Pope John Paul II" (tentative title) will follow Karol Wojtyla from his high school days in Poland through his death in April. The '81 assassination attempt will be included.
Holm will play Wojtyla beginning with his election to the papacy in 1978. No casting yet for the younger pope-to-be.
The miniseries, to be shot in Italy and Poland, is targeted to air in November. Historians at the Vatican were consulted on the script, and the producers have been granted access to St. Peter's Square.
St. Louis Post Dispatch
comments powered by Disqus
- Arizona Historical Society soon could be history
- Yale's Donald Kagan says students need to study Western civilization
- Ken Burns on Colbert to promote his new documentary, "The Address"
- UC Santa Barbara History Department featuring a series on the Great Society at 50
- Historians are trying to recover censored texts from World War I poets