CBS to broadcast a miniseries about the life of Pope John Paul II
Ian Holm is going from "The Lord" to the lord.
Holm, who played Bilbo Baggins in the big-screen "The Lord of the Rings" trilogy, will portray Pope John Paul II in CBS' forthcoming four-hour miniseries about the late pontiff.
"Pope John Paul II" (tentative title) will follow Karol Wojtyla from his high school days in Poland through his death in April. The '81 assassination attempt will be included.
Holm will play Wojtyla beginning with his election to the papacy in 1978. No casting yet for the younger pope-to-be.
The miniseries, to be shot in Italy and Poland, is targeted to air in November. Historians at the Vatican were consulted on the script, and the producers have been granted access to St. Peter's Square.
St. Louis Post Dispatch
comments powered by Disqus
- MLK's daughter to give court her dad's Bible, Nobel Prize
- China says no room for compromise with Japan on history, territory
- 800-year-old monk found poking out of cliff face
- Elite private school forced to apologize to students after serving special Black History Month menu of fried chicken and collard greens
- Khrushchev’s son: Giving Crimea back to Russia not an option
- Rutgers historian Rudy Bell leads protest against Condoleezza Rice speaking at commencement
- Islamic history scholar Michael Cook wins Holberg Prize
- Prolific Alaskan Historian, Author, UAF Professor Claus-M. Naske Passes at Age 78
- Historian Fernando Prado on quest to find remains of Cervantes
- Historian shines a light on the dark heart of Australia's nationhood