Egyptian Antiquities Are Safe, Museum Scientist Says





Rumors that the Egyptian Museum in Cairo caught fire yesterday (Feb. 2) were just that, according to Zahi Hawass, secretary general of the Supreme Council of Antiquities, on his blog today.

Al Jazeera reports suggested the monuments of Saqqara -- a large burial ground of Ancient Egypt referred to as the "City of the Dead" -- had been damaged and that items were stolen, Hawass wrote. "This is not true."

In fact, while the break-in at the Egyptian Museum on Friday (Jan. 28) resulted in 70 broken objects (all of which will be restored), Hawass said all of the Egyptian monuments are safe

And amidst reports of violence on the Cairo streets, Hawass points out the Egyptian people are keeping watch over these ancient treasures....



comments powered by Disqus