Gandhi 'left his wife to live with a male lover' new book claims
Mahatma Gandhi was bisexual and left his wife to live with a German-Jewish bodybuilder, a controversial biography has claimed.
The leader of the Indian independence movement is said to have been deeply in love with Hermann Kallenbach.
He allegedly told him: ‘How completely you have taken possession of my body. This is slavery with a vengeance.’
Kallenbach was born in Germany but emigrated to South Africa where he became a wealthy architect.
Gandhi was working there and Kallenbach became one of his closest disciples. .
The pair lived together for two years in a house Kallenbach built in South Africa and pledged to give one another ‘more love, and yet more love . . . such love as they hope the world has not yet seen.’...
comments powered by Disqus
Nicholas Clifford - 3/30/2011
The Daily Mail's reviewer seems to suggest that Lelyveld's book is entirely given over to Gandhi's private sex life. If this is true, the book's subtitle -- Mahatma Gandhi and his Struggle with India -- seems dishonest and misleading. I expect it's more likely that the Daily Mail thinks it knows what will appeal to its readership, and sex (as usual) trumps Indian independence.
- Nelson Mandela Dead: Icon of Anti-Apartheid Movement Dies at 95
- George H.W. Bush Given Lyndon B. Johnson Foundation Award
- Bruce Springsteen's 'Born To Run' manuscript could fetch $100,000 at NY auction
- Hospital Donates Records of Jacqueline Kennedy Onassis to JFK Library
- Australia’s Eureka Flag Finds a New Patch