Jay S. Goodgold Appointed OAH Treasurer
On April 15, 2011 the OAH Executive Board voted unanimously to approve the five-year appointment of Jay S. Goodgold as the next treasurer of the Organization of American Historians. Goodgold holds a B.A. from Johns Hopkins University and an M.B.A. from the Stern School of Business at New York University. After graduating, he worked for the Goldman Sachs Group, an investment banking and securities company, serving as managing director of its St. Louis and Chicago offices. Since his retirement in 2003 from Goldman Sachs, Goodgold has been an independent investor and is a trustee of two investment organizations.
An avid reader of history, Goodgold has been an active member of the OAH since 1994 and is active in volunteer work. He is president of the board at his synagogue and serves as a trustee of the Chicago Jewish Day School. He is also a member of the National Advisory Council of the Sheridan Libraries at Johns Hopkins University, and he serves on the dean’s advisory council at Indiana University’s Kelly School of Business. Goodgold was appointed to the OAH Leadership Advisory Council in 2004 and served as its co-chair in 2005. In that role, he also became an ex officio member of the OAH Executive Board. Goodgold served from 2008 to 2010 on the OAH Strategic Planning Committee, and he was a member of the 2007 OAH Treasurer Search Committee. In recognition for his longstanding commitment and service to the OAH, Goodgold was awarded the OAH Friend of History Award at the 2011 OAH Annual Meeting.
Goodgold was appointed interim treasurer after the illness and untimely death of Robert Griffith, who stepped down as OAH treasurer in January 2011. The OAH Executive Board wishes to thank Jane Kamensky (Brandeis University) and Jon Butler (Yale University) for leading the search committee, and the board joins OAH President Alice Kessler-Harris in welcoming Goodgold as the new treasurer of the Organization of American Historians.
comments powered by Disqus
- How Americans Feel About Religious Groups
- Tea Party support linked to educational segregation, new study shows
- History of Philly Rests Under I-95
- Agreement aims to protect North Shore wrecks from looters
- Award-Winning Filmmaker Kevin McCann to Produce the First Film about the Easter Rising in Ireland
- In new book UC Berkeley historian Waldo E. Martin, Jr. takes Black Panther Party's point of view
- Economics historian finds that real social mobility takes hundreds of years
- Historian turns baker?
- Timothy Garton Ash remembers an appearance by Putin at a conference in 1994 that's eye-opening