Historian: Celebrating someone's death "distasteful," but "I'm not mourning bin Laden's passing"
Spontaneous celebrations of pride, where people pour into the streets to embrace the flag and each other, have mostly become the stuff of sports victories or Twitter-fomented revolutions in the Middle East.
For American celebrations with any equivalence to what resulted from the news of the death of Osama bin Laden, you have to go back to 1945, to V-E and V-J days....
The comparison is inexact because the comparisons only go so far. Sept. 11 may well have been this generation's Pearl Harbor, but bin Laden killed thousands while Germany and Japan killed millions.
But those who both made and study history recognize the parallels. The sudden, entirely welcome demise of bin Laden is a sort of closure signifying that America remains a defining agent in the game.
"It's fairly distasteful to celebrate death," says Christopher Strain, a professor of history and American studies at the Honors College of Florida Atlantic University in Jupiter. "But I'm not mourning bin Laden's passing, and I certainly understand the celebrations. I think there's a kind of catharsis. People feel relief; perhaps some free-floating anxiety and angst will subside a little bit....
comments powered by Disqus
- Study: Violent radicalism in UK isn't associated with poverty
- CONFIRMED: the Shrine of Jonah/Mosque of Yunus (Nineveh, Mosul, Iraq) has been destroyed
- Chinese President Xi Jinping: Nobody can change history
- Iraq’s Long-Lost Mythical Temple Has Been Found…and Is In Danger of Disappearing Again
- CBS features in-depth coverage of the 50th anniversary of the signing of the Civil Rights law
- Obama to award National Humanities Medals to 3 historians
- Historian Curt Gentry, known for Hoover biography and ‘Helter Skelter,’ dies at 83
- Harvard historian: strategy of climate science denial groups 'extremely successful'
- Curators at Victoria and Albert Museum are pushing the boundaries of collecting
- Ukrainian Leaders Are Using David Barton's Theocratic Pseudo-History To Build Their Nation