Andy Warhol work Sixteen Jackies just tops $20m at sale
Andy Warhol's Sixteen Jackies has just exceeded its $20m (£12.2m) target pricetag at an auction of contemporary art at Sotheby's in New York.
The 1964 print of former US first lady Jackie Kennedy sold for $20.24m (£12.4m), while Jeff Koons' sculpture of a pink panther hugging a topless woman went for $16.8m (£10.3m).
Total sales reached $128m (£78m) just above the $121m (£73.8m) low estimate.
The auction house admits the estimates were "possibly aggressive".
"We did listen to the market, so works sold, if not always at levels originally anticipated," said Tobias Meyer, Sotheby's worldwide head of contemporary art....
comments powered by Disqus
- Rutgers historian Rudy Bell leads protest against Condoleezza Rice speaking at commencement
- Islamic history scholar Michael Cook wins Holberg Prize
- Prolific Alaskan Historian, Author, UAF Professor Claus-M. Naske Passes at Age 78
- Historian Fernando Prado on quest to find remains of Cervantes
- Historian shines a light on the dark heart of Australia's nationhood