South Africa mourns Albertina Sisulu
South Africa is mourning one of the leading lights of the anti-apartheid movement, Albertina Sisulu, who has died aged 92.
Mrs Sisulu was the widow of Walter Sisulu, a friend and mentor of former South African President Nelson Mandela.
A political figure in her own right, she was active in the women's league of the African National Congress (ANC).
ANC spokesman Brian Sokutu said Mrs Sisulu had dedicated her life to bringing democracy to South Africa....
comments powered by Disqus
- A prominent historian of science dies and no one takes notice
- A pro-Hamas Left emerges among historians, complains Jeffrey Herf
- Classicist Mary Beard celebrated by the New Yorker as “The Troll Slayer”
- Ilan Pappé praised in Iran as a "prominent anti-Zionist Israeli historian and intellectual"
- It's hard to be an optimist today, but Juan Cole is