Clinton Honors Embassy Bombing Victims
DAR ES SALAAM, Tanzania — Secretary of State Hillary Rodham Clinton on Sunday honored those killed in the bombings in 1998 of the American Embassies here and in Kenya, a day after the authorities confirmed the death of the feared operative from Al Qaeda who masterminded the attacks.
“We have not forgotten your losses,” Mrs. Clinton told diplomats and employees at the embassy here, built after the attacks, which killed more than 200 people, including 12 Americans. She spoke after laying flowers in front of a stone memorial for the dead, accompanied by three Tanzanians who survived the bombing....
The mastermind of the bombings, Fazul Abdullah Mohammed, Al Qaeda’s leader in East Africa, was killed in a late-night shootout on Tuesday at a military checkpoint in Mogadishu, Somalia’s capital....
comments powered by Disqus
- Round 2: It's Benny Morris vs. Martin Kramer ... Was there a massacre in 1948 in Lydda?
- World War I Anniversary: Five Historians, Two Questions
- While French historians take a common view of WW I, British and German don't
- Historian: Proclamation Naming Pa. State Gun Gets Facts Wrong
- Irish slave owners were compensated historian reveals