Peruvian President-elect Humala may pardon Fujimori
Peru's President-elect Ollanta Humala says he would pardon former President Alberto Fujimori on humanitarian grounds if his health worsens.
Mr Humala told Peru's El Comercio newspaper that "nobody should die in prison, except people serving life sentences for abusing children".
Fujimori is serving a 25-year sentence for corruption and ordering killings by the security forces.
He has been taken to hospital, suffering bleeding in his mouth.
Doctors fear this might be linked to a recurrence of his tongue cancer.
Mr Fujimori's doctor says he has also lost a lot of weight - some 15kg (33lb) - recently....
comments powered by Disqus
- Yale's Jay Winter sums up what we should remember about WW I
- Plagiarism scandals galore … but no consequences?
- Stephen Cohen was once considered a top Russia historian. Now he publishes odd defenses of Vladimir Putin, says critic
- Historian who calls bull&%$@ on July 4th parade causes controversy
- This is what motivated history students in high school and middle school can do!