Peruvian President-elect Humala may pardon Fujimori
Peru's President-elect Ollanta Humala says he would pardon former President Alberto Fujimori on humanitarian grounds if his health worsens.
Mr Humala told Peru's El Comercio newspaper that "nobody should die in prison, except people serving life sentences for abusing children".
Fujimori is serving a 25-year sentence for corruption and ordering killings by the security forces.
He has been taken to hospital, suffering bleeding in his mouth.
Doctors fear this might be linked to a recurrence of his tongue cancer.
Mr Fujimori's doctor says he has also lost a lot of weight - some 15kg (33lb) - recently....
comments powered by Disqus
- Arizona Historical Society soon could be history
- Yale's Donald Kagan says students need to study Western civilization
- Ken Burns on Colbert to promote his new documentary, "The Address"
- UC Santa Barbara History Department featuring a series on the Great Society at 50
- Historians are trying to recover censored texts from World War I poets