Guatemala: Ex-armed forces chief Lopez Fuentes arrested
Guatemalan authorities have arrested a former armed forces chief accused of joining in massacres during the nation's civil war nearly 30 years ago.
Retired general Hector Mario Lopez Fuentes, 81, was detained in the capital, Guatemala City, on Friday.
Human rights groups have accused him of participating in genocide and crimes against humanity during the military government of Efrain Rios Montt.
It is not clear how Mr Lopez Fuentes is likely to plead to the charges.
Guatemala's office of public prosecutions said he was accused of being the intellectual author behind the killings of more than 300 indigenous Maya civilians from the Ixil region in 1982 and 1983....
comments powered by Disqus
- Journalist Michael Wolraich says he wrote his new book about the Progressives to teach Americans how to do liberal politics
- It’s Martin Kramer vs. Ari Shavit vs. Benny Morris
- It's official: 2014 AHA election results are in
- In new book UC Berkeley historian Waldo E. Martin, Jr. takes Black Panther Party's point of view
- Economics historian finds that real social mobility takes hundreds of years