Hitler's drinking glasses up for sale
The set of four goblets - emblazoned with a swastika, spread-winged eagle, and the dictator's initials, A.H., are expected to fetch up to £8,000 when they are auctioned on Tuesday.
Auctioneer Jonathan Humbert, of J.P Humber auctioneers, in Towcester, Northants, said his firm were "excited" to be selling the pieces.
He said: "There is every chance that Adolf Hitler himself sipped from these very glasses.
"The late owner's son told me that his father only dealt in the finest military collectables and it was his understanding that this glassware came from Hitler's Berlin bunker.
"It was well known that Hitler had a personal valet in his bunker, and that he dined alone most evenings, using only the finest silver and glassware.
"Certainly the quality is there - the etching is superlative and the mouth and foot of each glass is superbly gilded.
"Whilst there is no written provenance, the fact that the same vendor owned Hitler's sword means that there is every chance that Adolf Hitler himself sipped from these very vessels....
comments powered by Disqus
- Iraq’s Long-Lost Mythical Temple Has Been Found…and Is In Danger of Disappearing Again
- CBS features in-depth coverage of the 50th anniversary of the signing of the Civil Rights law
- Archive of WW II war crimes made public
- They tried to kill Hitler. Now they’re heroes.
- ‘Clinton Inc.’ Author Dishes on Monica Lewinsky and the Blue Dress
- Ukrainian Leaders Are Using David Barton's Theocratic Pseudo-History To Build Their Nation
- John D’Emilio, renowned professor of gay studies, retires
- Journalist Michael Wolraich says he wrote his new book about the Progressives to teach Americans how to do liberal politics
- It’s Martin Kramer vs. Ari Shavit vs. Benny Morris
- It's official: 2014 AHA election results are in