Celebrating the Wallace monument
Celebrations are due to be held in Stirling to mark the 150th anniversary of the start of work on the Wallace Monument.
On this day in 1861 more than 100,000 people thronged Stirling and the Abbey Craig as a ceremony took place to lay the foundation stone.
Paid for by public subscription, the monument went over budget and it was eight years before it was opened.
More recently, the Wallace monument has attracted over 130,000 visitors a year....
comments powered by Disqus
- Nelson Mandela Dead: Icon of Anti-Apartheid Movement Dies at 95
- George H.W. Bush Given Lyndon B. Johnson Foundation Award
- Bruce Springsteen's 'Born To Run' manuscript could fetch $100,000 at NY auction
- Hospital Donates Records of Jacqueline Kennedy Onassis to JFK Library
- Australia’s Eureka Flag Finds a New Patch