Attempt to return Mona Lisa to Italy dismissed
An attempt to have the Mona Lisa return from France for a temporary visit to Italy has been dismissed by gallery chiefs.
The 500-year-old Leonardo da Vinci masterpiece was painted in Florence before he took it to France where it has lived ever since.
Art historian professor Silvano Vinceti, who is currently looking for the final resting place of the women believed to have posed for the painting, had launched a campaign to bring the painting back to Florence.
The aim was to raise a 100,000 signature petition to return the Mona Lisa to Florence in 2013, exactly 100 years after it was recovered following a theft from the Louvre in 1911....
comments powered by Disqus
- Limbaugh, Citing Ron Radosh, Tries to Blame Max Blumenthal for Kansas Rampage
- UC Berkeley professor emeritus Robert Harlan dies at 84
- She Came All the Way from Melbourne to Attend the OAH
- The 7 Most Popular HNN Videos from the 2014 OAH
- Jesse Lemisch’s up-from-below history is still strikingly original