Jamaicans would have been better off British - poll
A survey for a Jamaican newspaper suggests most islanders believe the country would have been better off if it had remained a British colony.
The poll, commissioned by The Gleaner, found that 60% of respondents backed this view. But 17% disagreed.
A thousand people took part in the survey, out of a population of 2.7m. The poll has a reported margin of error of plus or minus 4%.
Jamaica is due to celebrate 50 years of independence next year.
It is not clear what main reasons the respondents had for their choices.
comments powered by Disqus
- Five Things You Need to Know to be a Better Digital Preservationist
- Book on Losing British Generals Wins American History Prize
- Stanford scholar explores civil rights revolution's positive impact on the South's economy
- Harvard Historian Nancy Koehn on Amazon's Tentacular Reach
- Q&A with historian and author Nick Turse