Former UNCG professor, historian dies at 83
GREENSBORO -- A former UNCG professor who wrote the history of the university's first century died Friday at the age of 83, Chancellor Linda Brady announced today.
Allen William Trelease, UNCG professor emeritus of history and former department head, died at Friends Homes in Greensboro.
"Dr. Trelease will be greatly missed by his family, friends and colleagues, and his death will be felt across the campus," Brady said. "Our sympathy and prayers go out to his family."
He was a well-known historian who specialized in and wrote several books about Southern history, especially of the Civil War and Reconstruction....
comments powered by Disqus
- Is it a reminder of Nazis or a historical object worthy of saving?
- Supreme Court reveals that the docket books of many justices survive -- and are being made available
- Poll: Majority Of Americans Say Obama Is Mixed Race, Not Black
- New technology helps paleontologists see Ice-Age bee in intricate detail
- History textbooks in crosshairs of Australia's curriculum wars
- She Came All the Way from Melbourne to Attend the OAH
- The 7 Most Popular HNN Videos from the 2014 OAH
- Jesse Lemisch’s up-from-below history is still strikingly original
- U.Va. Historian Alan Taylor Wins 2014 Pulitzer for Book on Slaves and War -- His second Pulitzer!
- UW Professor Stephanie Camp, 46, feminist historian, dies