James Wizeye: To Claim Tutsis Caused Rwanda's Genocide is Pure Revisionism
James Wizeye is first secretary at the Rwanda high commission, London.. .
Despite their claims not to be deniers and revisionists, Edward Herman and David Peterson's assertions on the 1994 genocide against the Tutsis of Rwanda depict a deliberate effort to rewrite and revise the history of the slaughter (Response: We're not genocide deniers. We just want to uncover the truth, 19 July).
"Our work reallocates the primary responsibility for the genocide of April-July 1994, away from the standard account's 'conspiracy to commit genocide' by 'Hutu Power', towards Tutsi leader Paul Kagame and his superior armed forces," they state. Rwanda suffered one of the most well-documented genocides in the world. The truth, backed by copious evidence, is that it was a meticulously planned and viciously executed campaign of extermination of the Tutsis.
The genocide was committed in broad daylight and often under the direct view of international humanitarian organisations and UN peacekeepers. In fact, Jean Kambanda, then prime minister, confessed before the UN International Tribunal for Rwanda and accepted responsibility for the genocide...
comments powered by Disqus
- MLK's daughter to give court her dad's Bible, Nobel Prize
- China says no room for compromise with Japan on history, territory
- 800-year-old monk found poking out of cliff face
- Elite private school forced to apologize to students after serving special Black History Month menu of fried chicken and collard greens
- Khrushchev’s son: Giving Crimea back to Russia not an option
- Rutgers historian Rudy Bell leads protest against Condoleezza Rice speaking at commencement
- Islamic history scholar Michael Cook wins Holberg Prize
- Prolific Alaskan Historian, Author, UAF Professor Claus-M. Naske Passes at Age 78
- Historian Fernando Prado on quest to find remains of Cervantes
- Historian shines a light on the dark heart of Australia's nationhood