James Wizeye: To Claim Tutsis Caused Rwanda's Genocide is Pure Revisionism
James Wizeye is first secretary at the Rwanda high commission, London.. .
Despite their claims not to be deniers and revisionists, Edward Herman and David Peterson's assertions on the 1994 genocide against the Tutsis of Rwanda depict a deliberate effort to rewrite and revise the history of the slaughter (Response: We're not genocide deniers. We just want to uncover the truth, 19 July).
"Our work reallocates the primary responsibility for the genocide of April-July 1994, away from the standard account's 'conspiracy to commit genocide' by 'Hutu Power', towards Tutsi leader Paul Kagame and his superior armed forces," they state. Rwanda suffered one of the most well-documented genocides in the world. The truth, backed by copious evidence, is that it was a meticulously planned and viciously executed campaign of extermination of the Tutsis.
The genocide was committed in broad daylight and often under the direct view of international humanitarian organisations and UN peacekeepers. In fact, Jean Kambanda, then prime minister, confessed before the UN International Tribunal for Rwanda and accepted responsibility for the genocide...
comments powered by Disqus
- Richard III Really Ate and Drank Like a King
- Where’s the one place in the world where nobody’s messed with WW II relics?
- Secrets of the Clinton Library
- Beloit College is out with its annual list of what freshman know ... Tiny Tim? Carl Sagan? Forget about it.
- India Bans Indira Gandhi Assassination Film
- A prominent historian of science dies and no one takes notice
- A pro-Hamas Left emerges among historians, complains Jeffrey Herf
- Classicist Mary Beard celebrated by the New Yorker as “The Troll Slayer”
- Ilan Pappé praised in Iran as a "prominent anti-Zionist Israeli historian and intellectual"
- It's hard to be an optimist today, but Juan Cole is