The Times Square Kiss: Technology Tests Suggest Identity of the Couple in the Photograph
The photo was taken by Life Magazine photographer Alfred Eisenstadt.
Carl Muscarello, an ex-NYC cop, has long claimed he was the sailor in the picture. Now, according to CBS News, technology tests seem to support his claim.
A team of volunteers from the Naval War College, in Newport, contacted the Mitsubishi Electric Research Laboratories, of Cambridge, Mass., last year after hearing about a computer program that its scientists designed to"age" missing children and fugitive criminals.
The team was led by retired Navy Capt. Jerry O'Donnell, Mendonsa's neighbor since 1999. He'd heard the older man's tale and was intrigued by what he said.
"There are a lot of people in history who claimed to be the kissing sailor, but nobody has come up with any hard evidence," said O'Donnell, who works at the Navy Warfare Development Command."We decided we wanted to use cutting-edge technology to find the answer."
So on a winter day this year, Mendonsa went to the Mitsubishi lab, where he was placed in a chair surrounded by 150 bright lights, 16 cameras and 16 state-of-the-art computers.
In less than a minute, more than 4,000 digital images of Mendonsa were taken, which were then used to create a 3-D model of his face.
The lab was then able to"de-age" the present-day Mendonsa and transfer his face to a copy of Eisenstadt's photo from 1945.
The man in the original photo and his counterpart in the reproduction appear nearly identical.
Click on the link above for a video of the CBS News story.
Click here for an article in the Providence Journal.
comments powered by Disqus
- How Americans Feel About Religious Groups
- Tea Party support linked to educational segregation, new study shows
- History of Philly Rests Under I-95
- Agreement aims to protect North Shore wrecks from looters
- Award-Winning Filmmaker Kevin McCann to Produce the First Film about the Easter Rising in Ireland
- In new book UC Berkeley historian Waldo E. Martin, Jr. takes Black Panther Party's point of view
- Economics historian finds that real social mobility takes hundreds of years
- Historian Tim Furnish says liberals shouldn't be astonished that ISIS is stoning women to death -- "in many Muslim countries ... large majorities ... favor stoning"
- Historian turns baker?
- Timothy Garton Ash remembers an appearance by Putin at a conference in 1994 that's eye-opening