Wallis Simpson was wrongly maligned by history, claims Madonna at Venice Film Festival
As a singer with one of the most enduring careers in pop, Madonna is a dab hand at reinvention.
Which is why she feels uniquely placed to transform the image of Wallis Simpson, the American divorcee whose love affair with King Edward VIII plunged the monarchy into crisis.
Madonna has written and directed a new film, W.E., which recasts Mrs Simpson as a romantic heroine and Queen Elizabeth as the bitchy sister-in-law.
Explaining why she had made W.E. - the name is based on the couple’s monogrammed initials - Madonna said: “Wallis Simpson was much maligned in history books. I think people didn’t understand the choice the King made to give up his position and it changed English history - it changed the history of the world in many ways....
comments powered by Disqus
- ISIS is destroying both Shia and Sunni shrines and buildings in Mosul
- Study: Violent radicalism in UK isn't associated with poverty
- CONFIRMED: the Shrine of Jonah/Mosque of Yunus (Nineveh, Mosul, Iraq) has been destroyed
- Chinese President Xi Jinping: Nobody can change history
- Iraq’s Long-Lost Mythical Temple Has Been Found…and Is In Danger of Disappearing Again
- Historian who calls bull&%$@ on July 4th parade causes controversy
- This is what motivated history students in high school and middle school can do!
- Obama to award National Humanities Medals to 3 historians
- Historian Curt Gentry, known for Hoover biography and ‘Helter Skelter,’ dies at 83
- Harvard historian: strategy of climate science denial groups 'extremely successful'