The historical characters on British banknotes
We are likely to see many of their names and faces every day, but how much do we know about the historical characters on our banknotes?
As of 2 November, Matthew Boulton and James Watt have joined the range of people from the past whose portraits are found on the pound.
Following a long process of selection, design and manufacture, the new £50 banknote is in circulation, with the industrialist and engineer as the first dual portrait produced on a Bank of England note.
In time they will replace Sir John Houblon, the first governor of the Bank of England, as the faces of the £50 note....
comments powered by Disqus
- Heffron, of WWII's Band of Brothers, Dies at 90
- Fully 70 percent of films from silent era are lost, according to Library of Congress report
- "Secret" Labyrinth of Tunnels under Rome Mapped
- Florida Tribe Re-Creates Daring Escape From The Trail Of Tears
- Evolution, Civil War history entwine in plant fossil with a tragic past