NYU history professor wins Liberty Prize
NYU Russian history and politics professor Stephen Cohen visited Russia on a whim. After taking a year to study at Birmingham University in England, Cohen decided to stretch out his time abroad and found himself in Russia.
This month, over 50 years after his first visit, Cohen was awarded the 2011 Liberty Prize for his work advancing cultural bonds between the United States and Russia.
"It was an award that brought together the two countries that have shaped my entire adult life, so because it was an American-Russian award, it really was special for me," Cohen said.
The Liberty Prize is sponsored by the publisher Kontinent USA and the American University in Moscow. Every year, the jury selects individuals who have brought awareness and interest to Russian affairs....
comments powered by Disqus
- Historian Fernando Prado on quest to find remains of Cervantes
- Historian shines a light on the dark heart of Australia's nationhood
- Female historian says human rights museum censored her
- Japanese historians slam sex-slave apology review
- Stephanie Coontz: "Marriages require much more maturity than they once did."