Virginia Historical Society projects indexes slave names
Because of incomplete records or categorization errors, those searching for black or Native American ancestors may hit a wall.
Slave records often were incomplete, and American Indians often were described as negro or black.
The Virginia Historical Society recently launched Unknown No Longer, a database of Virginia slave names. The database builds on work of the Historical Society's "Guide to African American Manuscripts," said Lauranett Lee, curator of African American history at the Virginia Historical Society....
comments powered by Disqus
- Shipwreck Found Under World Trade Center Traced Back To Colonial Era Philadelphia
- Bob Dallek in the NYT gives a rave review of John Dean's history of Watergate cover-up
- Ex-President George W. Bush Authors Book About His Father
- Tears, and Anger, as Militants Destroy Iraq City’s Relics
- Europe notes 100th anniversary of World War I
- Why Benny Morris is both right and wrong
- Professor Ilan Pappé: Israel Has Chosen to be a 'Racist Apartheid State'
- Robert Drew, Cinema Verite Documentarian, Dies at 90