Virginia Historical Society projects indexes slave names
Because of incomplete records or categorization errors, those searching for black or Native American ancestors may hit a wall.
Slave records often were incomplete, and American Indians often were described as negro or black.
The Virginia Historical Society recently launched Unknown No Longer, a database of Virginia slave names. The database builds on work of the Historical Society's "Guide to African American Manuscripts," said Lauranett Lee, curator of African American history at the Virginia Historical Society....
comments powered by Disqus
- OAH issues a statement in support of the AP standards
- Daniel Pipes says in interview that the absence of anti-Israel protests in Muslim countries is highly significant
- A historian who studies China has discovered an overlooked angle in the debate about the Middle East. Could he have figured out a key reason for Iraq’s failure to defeat ISIS?
- American Historical Association backs revision of the AP course in history
- Middle East Scholars and Librarians Call for the Boycott of Israeli Academic Institutions