Occupy Wall Street
Duration: two (2) double-blocks (middle and high school), four (4) class periods (elementary school)
Goal: Students will understand the social and political limits placed on central components of American democracy while differentiating between representative and direct democracy.
Objective: Students will compare and contrast the current Occupy Wall St. protest tactic of establishing encampments in public spaces with similar tactics employed by the Bonus Army of 1932, noting similarities and differences in the means and ends of both groups.
Essential Question: Does the occupation of public space offer a successful vehicle for protest, given the nature of representative democracy and the legal limits placed on the rights to assemble and petition for redress of grievances enshrined in the Bill of Rights?
Common Core Standards: CCR Standards 7-9
21st Century Skills: Critical Thinking and Problem Solving
Students’ names: _________________________________________________________
Oral Presentation Grading Rubric
General presentation (audience appeal)
Excellent = 5
Creativity, Originality, and Effort
Exceptional = 5
Applied Knowledge (use of material and concepts learned)
Solid application of learned material = 5
Comprehension (understanding of topic/assignment)
Excellent comprehension = 5
Grade Scale: 5 (A), 4 (B), 3 (C), 2 (D), 1 (F)
Non-tech: paper, poster board, colored pens and/or pencils
Computer access to Internet and Google suite; document camera, if necessary; OWS Primary and Secondary Sources
OWS website, blog, and Twitter feed
comments powered by Disqus
- David Rosand, an Art History Scholar Whose Heart Was in Venice, Dies at 75
- NYT interviews Rick Perlstein about his book
- OAH issues a statement in support of the AP standards
- Daniel Pipes says in interview that the absence of anti-Israel protests in Muslim countries is highly significant
- A historian who studies China has discovered an overlooked angle in the debate about the Middle East. Could he have figured out a key reason for Iraq’s failure to defeat ISIS?