Andrea Mitchell on Mitt Romney’s Ancestors: ‘They Crossed the Border Illegally’
There have been many accusations made against Republican presidential candidate Mitt Romney from conservative opponents, liberals and the media, in regards to his record at Bain, record on abortion, and record on Romneycare.
But few have questioned the immigration record of his ancestors.
On The Chris Matthews Show Sunday, MSNBC's Andrea Mitchell went there:
"And looking ahead to the next primary in Florida, 30 percent of the Hispanic community is Cuban-American. That’s a smaller proportion, and so the Hispanic community there is different. And they are less prone to be susceptible to Mitt Romney’s really hard line on immigration, more prone to the Newt Gingrich approach to immigration. The other interesting little fact is about the Mexican Romneys, those looking back at all of those records say that Mitt Romney should look back at the records because the Romneys that came back from Mexico to the United States, they crossed the border illegally."
NewsBusters Noel Sheppard first speculated that Mitchell's claim could have come from a Sunday NPR report on the Romney's Mexican relatives, however Sheppard notes that the story said nothing about any of his relatives coming to America illegally. NPR's John Burnett told James Crugnale of Mediaite that he did not come across any documents indicating that the Gaskell Romney family came to the United States illegally, noting that they were part of an exodus of 1,200 Mormons from Mexico.
Miles Park Romney was Mitt's great grandfather, who fled the United States and crossed into Mexico in 1885 to escape religious persecution. There he helped build the Mormon enclave of Colonia Juarez in Chihuahua-- while having four wives and 30 children....
comments powered by Disqus
- ISIS is destroying both Shia and Sunni shrines and buildings in Mosul
- Study: Violent radicalism in UK isn't associated with poverty
- CONFIRMED: the Shrine of Jonah/Mosque of Yunus (Nineveh, Mosul, Iraq) has been destroyed
- Chinese President Xi Jinping: Nobody can change history
- Iraq’s Long-Lost Mythical Temple Has Been Found…and Is In Danger of Disappearing Again
- Historian who calls bull&%$@ on July 4th parade causes controversy
- This is what motivated history students in high school and middle school can do!
- Obama to award National Humanities Medals to 3 historians
- Historian Curt Gentry, known for Hoover biography and ‘Helter Skelter,’ dies at 83
- Harvard historian: strategy of climate science denial groups 'extremely successful'