Hitler's 'forged fivers' mayhem: How the Fuhrer 'destroyed' confidence in British currency
Nazi forgers ‘destroyed’ confidence in British currency by flooding Europe with forged Bank of England notes, the MI5 files reveal.
There were so many counterfeits in circulation that officials even considered recalling all British bank notes and starting afresh.
The papers describe how the Germans first began forging the notes in 1940 in preparation for Hitler’s planned invasion of Britain.
According to a captured German agent, the plan was to scatter the notes, £5 denominations and above, over the country from the air ‘in order to create loss of confidence and general confusion’....
comments powered by Disqus
- Heffron, of WWII's Band of Brothers, Dies at 90
- Fully 70 percent of films from silent era are lost, according to Library of Congress report
- "Secret" Labyrinth of Tunnels under Rome Mapped
- Florida Tribe Re-Creates Daring Escape From The Trail Of Tears
- Evolution, Civil War history entwine in plant fossil with a tragic past