Winnipeg professor seeks historical gold on audiotape
A history professor at the University of Winnipeg is asking residents to search their basements and attics for hidden treasure.
But Prof. Alexander Freund, the chair in German-Canadian studies at the university, isn't looking for gold or jewels -- he's hoping to find tapes of interviews with refugees who came to Manitoba after the Second World War and during the Cold War.
Freund is leading a project to digitize and archive the history of refugees in the province.
"We're very convinced there are interviews out there," he said in an interview. "We don't know how many."...
comments powered by Disqus
- Arizona Historical Society soon could be history
- Yale's Donald Kagan says students need to study Western civilization
- Ken Burns on Colbert to promote his new documentary, "The Address"
- UC Santa Barbara History Department featuring a series on the Great Society at 50
- Historians are trying to recover censored texts from World War I poets