Outrage over plans to move South African WWI memorial
Outrage has greeted a proposal by the City of Cape Town to move the Cenotaph war memorial, which has been in Adderley Street since 1924, to make way for a MyCiTi bus station.
The proposal to move the Cenotaph to the Grand Parade was made in a heritage report commissioned by the city and published by Bridget O’Donoghue, a heritage consultant.
According to the report, the relocation site was proposed after civil and professional organisations were consulted.
But public reaction on Monday indicated that moving the Cenotaph is more contentious than suggested by the report....
comments powered by Disqus
- Limbaugh, Citing Ron Radosh, Tries to Blame Max Blumenthal for Kansas Rampage
- UC Berkeley professor emeritus Robert Harlan dies at 84
- She Came All the Way from Melbourne to Attend the OAH
- The 7 Most Popular HNN Videos from the 2014 OAH
- Jesse Lemisch’s up-from-below history is still strikingly original