Duration: two (2) double-blocks (middle and high school), four (4) class periods (elementary school)
Goal: Students will understand how diplomacy functions with regard to the effort to control nuclear proliferation.
Objective: Students will learn about the Iranian nuclear program and the diplomatic response to the alleged attempts by Iran to develop a nuclear weapons capability.
Essential Question: Can the U.S. stop Iran from building a nuclear weapon? Should it even try?
Common Core Standards Met: CCR English Language Arts Standards 7-10
21st-Century Skills Employed: Civic Literacy
Making Nuclear Weapons (CNN, external link)
Student’s name: _________________________________________________________
Oral Presentation/Debate Grading Rubric
General presentation (fluidity, organization)
Excellent = 5
Creativity, Originality, and Effort (strength of argument, persuasiveness, collaboration with others)
Exceptional = 5
Applied Knowledge (use of material and concepts learned)
Solid application of learned material = 5
Comprehension (understanding of topic/assignment)
Excellent comprehension = 5
Grade Scale: 5 (A), 4 (B), 3 (C), 2 (D), 1 (F)
Non-tech: butcher paper, colored pens and/or pencils; computer access to Internet and Google suite (Google docs)
nuclear proliferation: the spread of nuclear weapons technology and nuclear weapons
nuclear weapon: a weapon using nuclear material (material made up of atoms that can be easily split to release large amounts of explosive energy
international relations: relations between countries
diplomacy: the process of opening discussions and maintaining contacts between different countries
Iran teaching resources at the Middle East Studies Center.
comments powered by Disqus
- Shipwreck Found Under World Trade Center Traced Back To Colonial Era Philadelphia
- Bob Dallek in the NYT gives a rave review of John Dean's history of Watergate cover-up
- Ex-President George W. Bush Authors Book About His Father
- Tears, and Anger, as Militants Destroy Iraq City’s Relics
- Europe notes 100th anniversary of World War I
- Why Benny Morris is both right and wrong
- Professor Ilan Pappé: Israel Has Chosen to be a 'Racist Apartheid State'
- History Professor: Convicted Cop Killer Mumia Should Be Celebrated Like Martin Luther King Jr. in Schools
- Robert Drew, Cinema Verite Documentarian, Dies at 90
- Rick Perlstein: “Ronald Reagan absolved America almost in a priestly role not to have to contend with sin. The consequences are all around us today”