700th anniversary of William Wallace's death
SNP MSP Christine Grahame has called on the UK Government to instruct the flying of the Saltire above Edinburgh Castle on Tuesday.
Edinburgh Castle is an official flag station for the British Army and the SNP said such a move would be the first time the Saltire has been flown from the highest point on the castle since the 1707 Act of Union.
Ms Grahame said: "The spark which William Wallace ignited led directly to the Wars of Independence and ultimately recognition of Scotland as a free nation.
"Had he not done so then Scotland would almost certainly have been annexed as part of a 'greater England'."
She said raising the Saltire would be a "fitting tribute" to Wallace's memory and the "inspiration it brought to the rest of the Scotland to resist oppression and injustice".
comments powered by Disqus
- Iraq’s Long-Lost Mythical Temple Has Been Found…and Is In Danger of Disappearing Again
- CBS features in-depth coverage of the 50th anniversary of the signing of the Civil Rights law
- Archive of WW II war crimes made public
- They tried to kill Hitler. Now they’re heroes.
- ‘Clinton Inc.’ Author Dishes on Monica Lewinsky and the Blue Dress
- Ukrainian Leaders Are Using David Barton's Theocratic Pseudo-History To Build Their Nation
- John D’Emilio, renowned professor of gay studies, retires
- Journalist Michael Wolraich says he wrote his new book about the Progressives to teach Americans how to do liberal politics
- It’s Martin Kramer vs. Ari Shavit vs. Benny Morris
- It's official: 2014 AHA election results are in