700th anniversary of William Wallace's death
SNP MSP Christine Grahame has called on the UK Government to instruct the flying of the Saltire above Edinburgh Castle on Tuesday.
Edinburgh Castle is an official flag station for the British Army and the SNP said such a move would be the first time the Saltire has been flown from the highest point on the castle since the 1707 Act of Union.
Ms Grahame said: "The spark which William Wallace ignited led directly to the Wars of Independence and ultimately recognition of Scotland as a free nation.
"Had he not done so then Scotland would almost certainly have been annexed as part of a 'greater England'."
She said raising the Saltire would be a "fitting tribute" to Wallace's memory and the "inspiration it brought to the rest of the Scotland to resist oppression and injustice".
comments powered by Disqus
- Daniel Pipes says in interview that the absence of anti-Israel protests in Muslim countries is highly significant
- A historian who studies China has discovered an overlooked angle in the debate about the Middle East. Could he have figured out a key reason for Iraq’s failure to defeat ISIS?
- American Historical Association backs revision of the AP course in history
- Middle East Scholars and Librarians Call for the Boycott of Israeli Academic Institutions
- Cornel West and the Insular World of the Obama-Hating Left