Brian Bolduc: Ryan Isn’t a Randian
Brian Bolduc is an editorial associate for National Review.
The New York Times columnist Paul Krugman thinks Representative Paul Ryan (R., Wis.) “isn’t especially interesting” — so much so that he wrote a whole column about him last weekend. In it, Krugman dubbed the congressman “an Ayn Rand devotee,” an oft-employed epithet among Ryan’s detractors....
[This doesn't] prove that Ryan is a Randian.
First, Ryan is a practicing Catholic. Yes, he has cited Rand’s influence on his thinking, but he has also cited the Church’s....
Second, Ryan doesn’t require staffers to read Atlas Shrugged. Aides past and present have denied Beam’s claim. But he does read the Read and Learn Bible with his children — not exactly book-of-the-month material among Randians. (This fact also mitigates the shock that he didn’t accept a Bible from a heckler in 2011.)....
comments powered by Disqus
- Journalist Michael Wolraich says he wrote his new book about the Progressives to teach Americans how to do liberal politics
- It’s Martin Kramer vs. Ari Shavit vs. Benny Morris
- It's official: 2014 AHA election results are in
- In new book UC Berkeley historian Waldo E. Martin, Jr. takes Black Panther Party's point of view
- Economics historian finds that real social mobility takes hundreds of years