Oliver Cromwell – the metrosexual: how the Lord Protector became the skin protector
He is remembered as an austere and pious figure, unconcerned with his appearance – even demanding that portraits show "warts and all".
But scientific research has shed new light on Oliver Cromwell, suggesting a more effete side to the republican ruler.
Chemical tests on the contents of a collection of mysterious pots which once belonged to the Lord Protector have revealed them to be luxurious, perfumed cosmetics.
The research was carried out by scientists at Exeter University and has been presented in an academic journal. Their analysis showed the contents to be soft soap, most likely made from olive oil....
comments powered by Disqus
- Shipwreck Found Under World Trade Center Traced Back To Colonial Era Philadelphia
- Bob Dallek in the NYT gives a rave review of John Dean's history of Watergate cover-up
- Ex-President George W. Bush Authors Book About His Father
- Tears, and Anger, as Militants Destroy Iraq City’s Relics
- Europe notes 100th anniversary of World War I
- Why Benny Morris is both right and wrong
- Professor Ilan Pappé: Israel Has Chosen to be a 'Racist Apartheid State'
- History Professor: Convicted Cop Killer Mumia Should Be Celebrated Like Martin Luther King Jr. in Schools
- Robert Drew, Cinema Verite Documentarian, Dies at 90
- Rick Perlstein: “Ronald Reagan absolved America almost in a priestly role not to have to contend with sin. The consequences are all around us today”