Ancient stone circle holds air of mystery (it's in Britain, but it's not Stonehenge)
However, don't let that fool you; Avebury contains the largest stone circle in Europe and the largest manmade prehistoric mound, Silbury Hill.
Avebury's stone circle dates to around 2600 B.C. Experts are still trying to determine its exact age, purpose and builder.
comments powered by Disqus
- Round 2: It's Benny Morris vs. Martin Kramer ... Was there a massacre in 1948 in Lydda?
- World War I Anniversary: Five Historians, Two Questions
- While French historians take a common view of WW I, British and German don't
- Historian: Proclamation Naming Pa. State Gun Gets Facts Wrong
- Irish slave owners were compensated historian reveals