Thomas Cromwell letter to Henry VIII before Anne of Cleves marriage discovered
Unfortunately for Cromwell the king was repulsed when he finally saw his bride because she looked nothing like her portrait - and he was beheaded.
At the time, Cromwell was Henry's chief minister and is the central figure in Hilary Mantel's latest novel, Bring up the Bodies.
The letter, dated November 8, 1539, was sent to the clerical diplomat, Dr Nicholas Wootton.
The diplomat was in Cleves in Germany finalising arrangements for what would turn out to be the shortest of Henry's six marriages....
comments powered by Disqus
- Limbaugh, Citing Ron Radosh, Tries to Blame Max Blumenthal for Kansas Rampage
- UC Berkeley professor emeritus Robert Harlan dies at 84
- She Came All the Way from Melbourne to Attend the OAH
- The 7 Most Popular HNN Videos from the 2014 OAH
- Jesse Lemisch’s up-from-below history is still strikingly original