Exam howlers reveal Stalin's sausage roll plan
What was Stalin's key weapon in controlling Eastern Europe? Sausage rolls, according to one student.
Apparently the Russian dictator was not building up a buffer zone in the region after the end of the Second World War, but a "buffet zone".
The blooper is just one of the exam howlers submitted to the Times Higher Education (THE) magazine for its annual competition.
This year's entries reveal how university students have been stumped by historical events, or simply caught out by spelling mistakes.
In a paper on the Cold War, the student for whom Stalin's actions were more along the lines of a street party than a military move wrote: "In 1945, Stalin began to build a buffet zone in Eastern Europe."...
comments powered by Disqus
- Nelson Mandela Dead: Icon of Anti-Apartheid Movement Dies at 95
- George H.W. Bush Given Lyndon B. Johnson Foundation Award
- Bruce Springsteen's 'Born To Run' manuscript could fetch $100,000 at NY auction
- Hospital Donates Records of Jacqueline Kennedy Onassis to JFK Library
- Australia’s Eureka Flag Finds a New Patch