After Protest, Madonna Shows Clip of Warsaw Uprising at Concert
Responding to critics in Poland, Madonna showed a World War II-era newsreel about the Warsaw Uprising against the Nazis during her concert on Wednesday in the city on the anniversary of that 1944 revolt, Agence France-Presse reported. Thousands of fans applauded as the two-and-a-half minute film played.
The city authorities had asked Madonna to screen the film after the Youth Crusade, a Roman Catholic group, started a petition to halt the concert and gathered more than 50,000 signatures. The group argued that it was inappropriate for Madonna to perform during the Polish capital’s annual remembrance of the doomed 63-day uprising against Nazi occupiers, in which an estimated 200,000 civilians died.
comments powered by Disqus
- Smithsonian gets $1M to save endangered languages
- Two world-class libraries launch online archive of ancient Scriptures
- U.S. veteran held by North Korea helped anti-communist guerrilla force in 1950-1953 war
- Paul Aussaresses, 95, Who Tortured Algerians, Dies
- Baffling 400,000-Year-Old Clue to Human Origins