Michael Freund: Serbia ... Lost and found
Freund is a correspondent and syndicated columnist for The Jerusalem Post.
Imagine a country with a long and proud history that is regularly vilified by the international press. It faces mounting pressure to concede its ancient heartland and turn its back on a central part of its cultural and spiritual heritage.
Surrounded by numerous foes, in a region where ancient hatreds run deep, this diminutive but intrepid people perseveres, standing firm on principle rather than selling out its age-old patrimony.
As familiar as this reality may sound to our Israeli ears, there is a country in the heart of Europe which would find it no less resonant: Serbia...
comments powered by Disqus
- Mormon history professors debate atheists in bid to foster greater understanding
- Research by Richard Brown and Doron S. Ben-Atar sheds light on colonial bestiality
- Glenn Feldman wins prize for book, "The Irony of the Solid South"
- Prolific Wikipedia editor of women's lit dies in rock climbing accident
- Ronald Radosh says he's under attack from leftists