Wreck of Captain Scott's ship discovered off Greenland
The ship that took Captain Robert Falcon Scott on his ill-fated mission to the Antarctic 100 years ago has been discovered off the coast of Greenland.
The SS Terra Nova, built in Dundee in 1884, was found by a research company, Schmidt Ocean Institute, when they were testing new equipment on one of their vessels.
The discovery has amazed experts as the ship had lain on the sea bed under icy waters for 70 years.
Captain Scott and his team sailed it from Cardiff to the Antarctic in their quest to be the first people to reach the South Pole a century ago....
comments powered by Disqus
- While French historians take a common view of WW I, British and German don't
- Historian: Proclamation Naming Pa. State Gun Gets Facts Wrong
- Irish slave owners were compensated historian reveals
- Two historians are in a race against time to preserve early church records from destruction
- Yale's Jay Winter sums up what we should remember about WW I